Magic. Mysticism. Merlins. Myth. A Modern Day Priestess.
Ten years ago, I read the epic novel “Mists of Avalon“– a retelling of the Arthurian legend as seen through the eyes of the women of Avalon. This was my first encounter with the term “Priestess”. Deep inside, my Presbyterian bones began to quake. Intuitively, I knew what a Priestess was. I understood Her role in the world and knew it was mine.
Empowering the feminine always stirred my soul. I studied Feminism and geo-political-socio-economic theory at USC in hopes of bringing more equality to the world. I happily devoured Simone de Beauvoir while living in Paris in the mid 90’s.
After reading “Mists of Avalon” I longed to attend a Mystery School. How did these secret teachings relate to our modern world? How could I translate them?
Luckily, someone passed me a booklet and all the missing pieces fell into place. “A Guidebook for the Modern Priestess” was written by my teacher Ariel Spilsbury.
Upon reading the manual, I eagerly completed Ariel’s 13-Moon Priestess Training – an amalgamation of Feminine Spirituality, Jungian Psychology, Tantra, mythology, sacred geometry, Celtic mysteries and quantum physics.
To this day, people ask me more about my ‘Priestess work’ than anything else. The word holds a mysterious charge, but is quite simple. By aligning with elemental forces, nature and our intuition, we have more direct access to truth and love.
Here are some simple steps – carefully distilled from Ariel’s voluminous work – to be an Urban Priestess.
1. Slow down. Begin a spiritual practice. The mantra of the Priestess archetype is: “I AMPLIFY IN STILLNESS.” True power comes from within. Spend time each day in stillness and silence. Answers arise. Intuition strengthens.
2. Worship your body. A Priestess knows her worth and chooses foods, relationships and activities that support her highest good. Eat well. Exercise daily. Practice radical self-care. Pamper yourself.
3. Start a Moon Circle. Honor the natural rhythms of life by creating monthly rituals. Gather a small group of trusted friends around the New Moon to sit in circle, confidentially share and create rituals to honor the seasons.
4. Set intentions. Take an hour each week to meditate on and write out your deepest desires. A Priestess understands her power to manifest. Journal to keep track of miracles and synchronicities that occur.
5. Presence Beauty. Pay special attention to how you adorn yourself. In each encounter, offer beauty – by how you dress, move, decorate your home, speak and listen.
6. Establish resonance. For magic to occur, a resonant, coherent field is required. Keep rooms and relationships orderly. Use candles, flowers, sound and lighting to establish resonance. Listen athletically to align with another.